Cynthia's Kitchen - Daikon
Daikon radish is one of my favorite foods. Here are a few ideas and a recipe.
1. Put grated daikon in sushi.
2. Use instead of cabbage or with cabbage in a slaw - raw.
3. Add to carrots, onions, garlic, broth, and.or lean meat and roast in oven.
4. Add to your next smoothie for a little zest.
5. Throw some in a stew, soup, or stir fry.
6. Lightly steam with olive oil, salt, and lemon juice.
7. Try dipping daikon sticks into peanut butter.
Here’s a recipe for DAIKON CAKES:
Place 1 1/2 cups grated daikon in bowl and sprinkle with salt. Put in fridge for a half hour.
Drain daikon. Stir in 1 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/2 red onion chopped, 1 beaten egg, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs,
black pepper, a little paprika, a little chili garlic sauce. Form into 8 round patties.
Pour 1 1/2 cup oil into large skillet. Heat until medium hot. Fry patties about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. OR
Brush patties )on cookie sheet) with oil and and bake in oven at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes.
Now for ideas using those beautiful greens.
1. Sauté chopped greens with onion, garlic, and lemon.
2. Make pesto like you would with basil but add some lemon juice.
3. Make a luscious soup with sautéd radish leaves, onion, potatoes, broth, and milk. When everything is cooked, blend in blender or with stick blender. Add plenty of salted pepper. Hearty and delicious.